Akhiok, AK 99615
Akhiok is located at the southern end of Kodiak Island at Alitak Bay. It lies 80 miles southwest of the City of Kodiak. The original village of Kashukugniut was occupied by Russians in the early 19th century. The community was originally a sea otter hunting settlement, located at Humpy Cove.
The name Akhiok was reported in the 1880 Census. In 1881, residents relocated to the present site at Alitak Bay. The population of the community consists of 93.8% Alaska Native or part Native. Akhiok is an Alutiiq village dependent upon fishing and subsistence activities.
Kodiak, AK 99615
A multi-cultural town full of hard-workers, residents of Kodiak believe they live in paradise. On sun-drenched days in summer, you’ll find families out walking the trails and beaches, picnicking, fishing and swimming. Downtown, picturesque St. Paul Harbor is active with fishing and sightseeing boats coming and going. The ferry brings people from the mainland and the Aleutian chain. The shopping square is lively with visitors and townsfolk looking for treasures at Kodiak’s unique gift shops or dining at one of Kodiak’s great restaurants. Three museums, the Baranov, the Alutiiq and the National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center are in the heart of downtown Kodiak. You’ll meet many locals who take great joy in talking with tourists and sharing their love of the island.
Just across the channel from downtown Kodiak is Near Island, a popular place for short walks and the site of one of two float plane airports in Kodiak. Near Island is also home to the Fisheries Research Center, which features an aquarium and touch tank where curious people can learn more about the fish and intertidal animals.
Approximately 13,000 people live on Kodiak Island with around 2,000 of those living in the remote villages. Despite the fact that there are plenty of shopping conveniences available, many families depend on Kodiak’s local fish and wildlife resources for much of the food on their tables. When the fish are running, locals are out fishing to fill their freezers for the long winter ahead. The same is true when hunting season begins. Deer, elk, duck, and rabbit are mainstays on the dinner table along with salmon, halibut, cod, scallops and shrimp.
Karluk, AK 99615
Karluk is located on the west coast of Kodiak Island, on the Karluk River, 88 air miles southwest of Kodiak. The mouth of the Karluk River is thought to have been populated by Natives for more than 7,000 years. Thirty-six archaeological sites exist in the area. Russian hunters established a trading post here in 1786. At that time, the village was located on both sides of the Karluk River, in the area of Karluk Lagoon. Between 1790 and 1850, many tanneries, salteries, and canneries were established in the area. By 1900, Karluk was known for having the largest cannery and the greatest salmon stream in the world.
The population of the community consists of 96.3% Alaska Native or part Native. Karluk is an Alutiiq village with a fishing and subsistence lifestyle
Larsen Bay, AK 99624
The village of Larsen Bay is located on Larsen Bay, on the northwest coast of Kodiak Island. It is 60 miles southwest of the City of Kodiak. The area is thought to have been inhabited for at least 2,000 years. Hundreds of artifacts have been uncovered in the area. Russian fur traders frequented the island in the mid-1700s. The bay was named for Peter Larsen, an Unga Island furrier, hunter, and guide. In the early 1800s, there was a tannery in Uyak Bay. The present-day Natives are Alutiiq (Russian-Aleuts).
The population of the community consists of 79.1% Alaska Native or part Native. Larsen Bay is a traditional Alutiiq settlement.
Old Harbor, AK 99643
Old Harbor is located on the southeast coast of Kodiak Island, 70 miles southwest of the City of Kodiak. The area around Old Harbor is thought to have been inhabited for nearly 2,000 years. The area was visited by the Russian Grigori Shelikov and his "Three Saints" flagship in 1784. Three Saints Bay became the first Russian colony in Alaska. In 1788, a tsunami destroyed the settlement. Two more earthquakes struck before 1792. In 1793, the town relocated from the northeast coast to "Saint Paul's," now known as Kodiak. A settlement was reestablished at Three Saints Harbor in 1884. The town was recorded as "Staruigavan," meaning "old harbor" in Russian. The present-day Natives are Alutiiq. A federally-recognized tribe is located in the community -- the Village of Old Harbor; Kodiak Island Inter-Tribal Council. The population of the community consists of 85.7% Alaska Native or part Native. Old Harbor practices its traditional Alutiiq culture and subsistence lifestyle. Fishing provides income to the community. Residents of Kaguyak, a summer fish camp, also live in Old Harbor.
Ouzinkie, AK 99644
Ouzinkie is located on the west coast of Spruce Island, adjacent to Kodiak Island. It lies northwest of the City of Kodiak. Ouzinkie started as a retirement community for the Russian American Company. In 1889, the Royal Packing Company constructed a cannery at Ouzinkie. Shortly afterward, the American Packing Company built another. The modern village of Ouzinkie got its name from the Russian term "uzen kii", meaning rather narrow.
The population of the community consists of 87.6% Alaska Native or part Native. Ouzinkie is an Alutiiq village. Commercial fishing and subsistence activities support the community.
Port Lions, AK 99550
Port Lions is located in Settler Cove, on the north coast of Kodiak Island. The town was founded in 1964 by the displaced inhabitants of Afognak, which was destroyed by a tsunami after the Good Friday Earthquake. The community was named in honor of the Lions Club, for their support in rebuilding and relocating the village. The city government was incorporated in 1966.
The population of the community consists of 63.7% Alaska Native or part Native. The majority of the population of Port Lions is Alutiiq. Most residents lead a fishing and subsistence lifestyle, while commercial fishing and subsistence activities support the community.