Sun'arausqat Katurgwiat, "The Young People's Gathering Place"
September 26-29, 2018
Making the transition from high school to the adult world can be challenging and overwhelming. For four days, rural and local students around the island will engage in a variety of exciting interactive activities in the city of Kodiak to encourage creating plans after completing high school. KANA, with our partnering agencies, local businesses, Native organizations, secondary and post-secondary institutions, and local Tribes, will provide this valuable information.
During the event, students gain the knowledge and skills necessary for a smooth transition from high school to employment and/or post-secondary education. Event activities will challenge students to practice critical thinking and gain the positive employability skills needed to succeed and compete in the workforce. Local vocations will be highlighted including health and maritime careers. Students also participate in cultural, prevention, financial competency, and social emotional skill building activities.
Adult mentors in attendance will be empowered to take an active role in strengthening community collaborations that result in improved outcomes for young adults in their village and will gain a better understanding of the interconnectedness within the community in guiding the students to successful pathways.
For more information about the event contact Gwen Sargent at 907.486.1361 or email@example.com.
Below are some highlights of this year's TAY event. Find the complete agenda here (right-click to download).
- Peer Panel: hear from peers who have recently graduated from high school along with adults who consider themselves life-long learner’s stories of their journeys.
- Prevention Activity
- Get Real Financial Reality Fair: a project designed to teach financial literacy Work Readiness Skill Building: employability skills and “Millennial Job Interview” video Alutiiq Museum:
- VIP Tour of the new exhibit Banquet with keynote, Shauna Hegna, President Koniag Inc.
- World Heart Day: local screenings, wellness demonstrations
- Career Cluster Exploration: Local Career Jeopardy
- KANA & Providence health care careers
- Maritime Speed dating
- “Keep Talking” Documentary Viewing
Post-secondary College / Technical School Options Life Skills Activities: How to handle personal finances, registering to vote, setting up a bank account, positive interpersonal interactions, identify important documents to have